Saturday, May 5, 2012

My Birth Story: Introducing...Evelyn Grace!!!!

She's here!!!!!!! And here's how it all went down...

So on Friday April 27th I went to my weekly doctor's visit.  When the doctor examined my tummy she told me that she didn't think that baby's head was down.  I told her that the last 3 appointments I had they had told me that baby's head was down and that at the LAST appointment her head was REALLY low!  She told me that she wanted me to go get an ultrasound just to make sure because if I were to go into labour or if my water were to break we'd need to know if baby was breech.  

So Saturday morning the hospital calls me at 8am telling me that I can come in asap for my ultrasound.  We got there just before 9am and I was hooked up to a machine and we listened to the baby's heart.  We waited a good solid 4 hours before the doctor was able to see us and she did an ultrasound.  Sure enough, baby's head was to the left of my belly...not down in my pelvis.  The doctor asked me if I had felt the baby REALLY move in the last week and I told her yes on Wednesday night while I was watching TV she was moving like CRAZY! I guess that's when she turned? The OBYGN then came to speak with us.  She told us that the only options we had right now was to get a C-Section done (and she said that we could have it done THAT DAY) or to try to turn the baby.  I opted for the second option because having a FULL natural birth was what I had wanted from the very beginning.  We were set up in a delivery room and I got hooked up to an IV and they took a bunch of blood samples from me.  We waited probably another 4 hours before the nurse came in and told us that because of a few emergencies that had come in they would not be able to get to me today.  In order for the doctor to try to turn the baby they would have to also schedule in enough time for an emergency C-Section because the process of turning the baby could result in my going into labour/water breaking or the placenta being ruptured.  They told us that they would call us the next day.  Ed and I went out for dinner that night...our 'last date night' before baby's arrival.  We also re-packed our hospital bags because you stay for 3 days instead of 24 hours after having a C-Section.  And we also took out all the garbage in the house and made sure all the dishes and laundry were done before we went to bed. 

Sunday morning rolls around and we were called at 11am to go in. We arrived just before noon.  The OBGYN (a different one) came in within the hour and did an ultrasound again.  This time, baby's head was completely up and bum was down.  He told us that he would not be attempting to turn the baby as I was 39 weeks pregnant, baby was a good size and this was my first pregnancy (meaning my uterus was tight) and those are all signs that an attempt to turn the baby would not be successful at all.  He told me flat out that a C-Section was the only option I had.  

I was NOT happy.  I felt SO out of control and violated that I could not choose what was to happen to my body.  I signed the consent form and burst into tears.  Not only was I not going to have a natural/drug free birth, I was going be cut open.  I was TERRIFIED.  I never in a million years thought that I would end up having to have a C-Section.  My mom had 4 kids and gave birth naturally and drug free to all of them (as did my mother in law who had 5 children).  I never even entertained the idea of a C-Section and regrettably did not look into it at all.  I was pretty much going into this clueless.

About 4 hours later, a nurse came in and told me it was our turn.  I was told to change into a hospital gown so I wasn't allowed to wear the birthing gown I had brought with me.  Then I found out that I had to go into the surgery room ALONE first to be prepped.  I was again HORRIFIED.  They told me that Ed would come in just before the surgery was to start.  So I followed the nurse down this horrible dark dingy hallway and he led me into a room with a stretcher in the middle and about 5 people dressed in scrubs/hairnets/masks stood there waiting for me.  It was like I was in a horror movie!  They instructed me to sit on the stretcher and bend over.  The anesthesiologist came in and told me that he would be first putting in a local anesthetic and then the spinal that would then numb my entire lower body pretty much immediately.  I HATED that Ed was not with me for this part because I absolutely am TERRIFIED of needles and had no clue what was going to happen (the guy said SPINAL!!).  Honestly the needles were not bad at all...but it was so scary not knowing.  As I was told, I pretty much immediately felt strong tingling sensations going down my legs and within seconds my entire lower half was numb.  I still could feel touch, just not pain. Then my arms were strapped down with all these different electrodes and stuff to monitor my heart rate and blood levels.  I asked them where my husband was and they told me that he was on his way.  I felt so nauseous I started gagging (I was not allowed to eat anything all day so I had nothing to throw up).  I told the nurse that I felt like throwing up and he gave me something to calm my nerves through the IV.  My entire body was shaking at this point.  Then finally Ed came in (in a hairnet and mask) and it took me a few seconds to recognize that it was him.  I immediately burst into tears and he he sat right next to me with his face touching mine.  I told him that I was so scared and he reminded me that our baby would soon be here and it'll be all worth it.  It made me feel a bit better having him there for sure but still scary because I felt a lot of tugging and pressure in the tummy area.  I knew they had started the surgery.  

Ed tried to keep my mind somewhere else by just talking to me about the baby and what her cry would sound like.  All of the sudden the doctor said 'I see 10 toes!'.  I was both excited and scared because I didn't realize that they had cut me open already but glad that everything was ok so far.  A few minutes later I felt something lift off inside of me and the doctor said 'what a beautiful baby!'.  I still couldn't see anything because I was lying down so Ed told me that she was out.  I wondered why there was no cry yet but then I heard it.  The sweetest little cry ever.  The nurse shouted over that she was so good, that she only cried and stopped and didn't wail like crazy.  Next thing I knew my baby was in front of me but I couldn't see very well because I was lying on the stretcher still.  I got a glimpse and then the nurse told Ed that he and baby were to go with him. I was NOT happy that they were leaving without me.  I grabbed onto Ed and said NO but the nurse told me that I'd see them real soon.  Again, I burst into tears.  The next 5 mins were the LONGEST 5 minutes I had to go through ever.  I felt them sewing me up (more like I could hear them..) and then I heard them stapling my tummy shut.  The entire surgery was probably under 10-15 mins but felt like an eternity.  I was transferred onto a different stretcher and wheeled back into the room where I was before surgery.  My family was all standing outside and Ed was inside the room with baby.  They put the baby in my arms right away but I couldn't move at all so I still didn't get a good glimpse of her.  The next 2 hours I lay there while 2 nurses kept asking me if I felt the coldness of a piece of ice here and there.  Finally we were done and I was wheeled upstairs into our recovery room where Ed followed with the baby in a plastic bin.  Once inside I was transferred onto the bed where I could recline and sit slightly upright.  I FINALLY got to hold AND see my baby! 
*****
I know my birth story doesn't sound like a positive one but if I had to go through all of that again...I would in a heartbeat.  I love my baby girl and still cannot believe that she is MINE.  She's TOO perfect to belong to me!!!!!!!!  Here are her birth stats!!

1) Date of birth - April 29th, 2012
2) Weight at birth - 6 lbs
3) Length at birth - 18 inches

 Here are some photos of our delivery and precious baby girl's first few days with us!!
Saturday morning when I went for my ultrasound.
Sunday morning after I knew I was going to have a C-Section...waiting for our turn for surgery!
Our last photo together before we're a family of 3 (plus Tobey!)
With my parents before I went in for surgery. Last belly pic too!!!

My little baby minutes old!!
First time holding her....totally drugged up but very happy!!
Ed fell completely
First big family photo!
Our very first family photo!!
Evelyn <3


<3
I LOVE seeing him with her!
I can't choose just ONE feature I love...I love everything about her!!

Playing dress-up!
Going home outfit!!
Ready to go home!
The 'walk'!
I have to add that during the ENTIRE pregnancy and delivery process my hubby was THE most amazing husband ever.  Not only did he take care of me during our stay but he also did most of the baby stuff since I couldn't move most of the time.  Every night he was the one who got up to help me use the bathroom, change her diaper, feed her (my pre-milk didn't come in until super late the night we came home) and everything else in between.  There's not a better man that could have been by my side through all this!!! 

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations to the both of you! I think sometimes we get so caught up in how we want the whole experience to be for us, that we forget the most important thing at the end of any day is that the baby is born safely into this world. She is so adorable, welcome to motherhood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome Evelyn! wish I could hole her :)

    so happy for you and Ed. I know this is something you've both wanted for a long time. Can't wait for Evelyn to have a brother or ssiter ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this! the pictures are absolutely beautiful! So is evelyn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone!!!!! We are completely OVER THE MOON!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading this! Your experience was very similar to mine, except my c-section was scheduled.
    I love the "first big family photo" and wish I had taken a picture of all of my family together like that!

    ReplyDelete