Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Making The Most of the Special Time you have with your Kids - Guest Blogger!

Hey my fellow readers!! I have a guest blogger here today!! Meet Carrie from Tales from a Nursing Student! Carrie contacted me after reading my blog and asked if she could guest blog and of course I said YES!!! I told her that I LOVE having guest bloggers here and that I was so glad someone offered because I'm finding my blog oh so boring these days with weekly updates HAHA.  She asked me what topic to write about and told me that she is a single mother working to support her children.  Immediately I asked her if she could write about how to juggle time between work and kids because that will be something I will probably have to deal with in the future.  Here's her post!!!!! Enjoy!!!! 

-----------------
Let’s face it; time is precious so as parent you know making the most out of the time you have with your child is priceless. With so many responsibilities many people ask me how I do it. To be honest with you my drive in life is my kids so making the most of the time I spend with them is the best piece of advice I can give.

The fondest memories of my childhood were when my mom would spend time with me. From her signing to all the little things we would do she made the time fun and meaningful. So when I say making the most of the time I have with them, I mean really making the time together unforgettable to create memories that will last forever. How do you do this? I’m a fanatic at finding ways to spend more time and make the most of every moment I have with them. Being organized and having a schedule really helped me. Start by looking at your schedule to see what and where your time is being spent and where you can cut back.

The best way to start is cutting back on errands. If you have errands to run do them all at once and bring the kids along. Taking a cue from my mom who would sing in the car I have started to do this. The kids love it and like to sing along with me. I use the time in the car to teach them stuff as well. If we see a stop sign I ask them what color it is, what it says, what it means. This makes it fun, a way to get your child’s brain moving, and you save on gas by grouping your trips together. After eliminating errands and adjusted your schedule saving time in other areas go the extra mile and make the most of the special time you have.

When you go to the park make sure you pack a lunch and bring a blanket or sit at a picnic bench. If there is a pond nearby bring some extra bread so you can feed the ducks. Sing songs in the car.

If you get tickets for a baseball game, make sure to get a program where you child will be able to keep forever. Getting it autographed by a favorite player might be possible and will always be remembered. Maybe go to lunch before or dinner after the game. Make a tradition out of it.

When I was younger every birthday I had my mom would get me a porcelain angel that had my age on it. I get these for my daughter and she loves them. I have a candle for my son that has numbers to represent the age. We light it each year and make a very big deal about watching it melt to the next age. Make the parties fun, invite all their friend and your family, go bowling or roller skating, get a special cake, and tell them how proud you are to have them in your life.

This Halloween make candy apples or go bobbing for apples, they will love this. Get a movie, eat some popcorn and just have a great night with them.

Over the Holiday watch Frosty the snow man together, build a snow man, go caroling, drive around with the kids and look at all the Christmas lights, have your kids help with the cards, bake cookies and make a gingerbread house. While you are doing all this sing Christmas carols, talk about what you want to do over the break, maybe take them to the zoo one day over the time off from school.

Collect lightening bugs is always fun. Make it something you do every night in the summer and then get some ice cream on Friday nights.

Make a point to watch cartoons with them on Saturday mornings.

If you love to garden your child can help water the plants or pull weeds. Tell them all about the plants; see if they remember the names. Raking leaves can also be a great way to spend time with your kids. Rake the leaves; make a big pile they can jump in.

Taking the dog for a walk can be a fun time and can get your kids exercising. I like to play games when we are walking such as I spot or I see. It gets the kids involved and keeping their brains working as they are trying to find ways to describe things or find what you are describing.

I always make washing the car day fun and get them in their bathing suits so they can really enjoy it. We sing, talk and tell stories and even involve the dog. The kids love it

Remember to have your camera with you and create an album of the time you spend with your child. Writing what they enjoyed most about each day or picture is fun to list next to the picture.

There are plenty of other things around the house the kids can be involved with.

Include your kids in planning and preparing meals as much as you can and make it a fun experience. You can use this as a learning experience if they are old enough. Teach them how to set the table, or how to read by asking them to tell you what the recipe card says. If they are not old enough to help then give them some crayons and have them make personalized placemats.

Ask the kids to help clean the house helps you get the house cleaned and encourages them to be clean. I don’t like to bribe my kids but I have a sticker system and after completing the chore they get a sticker. My kids love this and my daughter takes her sticker book everywhere she goes telling everyone what she did to get each sticker.

You can have your child help wash dishes if they are old enough. They can dry the dishes while you wash. To make it fun, sing, play a game with them or if they have a test to study for you can use this time to quiz them. Encourage your kids to think about what they want to be when they grow up by asking them and seeing what they are interested in.

Washing and folding clothes is a great job for the kids! It not only helps learn colors and how to fold but it’s a fun time that we use to tell stories that we make up and continue when we are in the car or making the bed

Make bed time and getting the kids ready to go to bed fun. When it’s time to go to bed I always remember my mom reading to me when I was younger. Find a book that you can read to them and tell them only if they pick up their clothes and brush their teeth they can hear a story before bed.

There are many ways you can find time and make the most out of the time you have with your children and also combine teaching and making memories. Always remember to include the kids as much as you can and cherish every moment you have with them. Just remember during your special time together get rid of all distractions such as turning off your cell phone, radio, computer and television. This way they will see that it’s just you and them.
-------------
Carrie is a single Mother of two, works full time as a nurse, and attends accelerated rn to bsn online classes. With her busy schedule she is very passionate about making time for her kids and creating as many memories with them as she can. She loves her children, has a natural love for helping people, and can be found blogging about her experiences at Tales from a Nursing Student

No comments:

Post a Comment