Friday, October 7, 2011

Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder - Photoblog!

Not that I'm complaining at ALL because being pregnant is SUCH a huge blessing...but there ARE a few things I've missed since finding out I was pregnant...especially in the food department!
There are a LOT of food items that I realized that I used to take for granted and I'm totally ok with sacrificing/giving them up for the next year or so but these days it is SO hard.  My appetite has been really bad these days and I find myself forcing myself to eat because I know my baby needs food.  People ask me if I'm craving anything and I tell them 'no' because of all the foods I CAN eat I'm not but really...I'm craving EVERYTHING that I cannot have.  Not sure if it's because I simply CAN'T have them or because I just miss them since I haven't had any of them in over 2 months.  
I decided to make a little photoblog as a tribute and temporary goodbye to my fave foods...my mouth was totally watering while searching for these pics.  I used to eat these foods on a VERY regular basis so I just feel empty when it comes to being satisfied with the food I'm eating these days...and I think that's why I have no appetite? Cuz the stuff I WANT to eat are the things that are forbidden.  The next time you eat any of these foods....think of me and take a huge bite in my honour LOL.
Here they are in no particular order....
Rare steaks and prime ribs.  Well Done just isn't the same.
 I miss how juicy and tender you are.
Salmon Sashimi...goodbye my most cherished friend.
Because of you I cannot bear going into any sushi places.
The sight of you makes my heart sink.
Wine, my nightly night-cap.  I miss our nightly routine and how you
relax me and take the entire day's worth of stress away.  
Deli Meats (particularly Prosciutto and Salami). I miss snacking
on you along side Wine after work.
Brie Cheese.  Just thinking about the way you used to
melt in my mouth is enough to keep me up at night.
Fresh Raw Oysters..with LOTS of hot sauce that is.  I know we didn't get
to spend enough time together since we had just met earlier this year.
But I PROMISE I will be back for more as soon as I can!! 

3 comments:

  1. From one fellow pregnant girl to another let me put your mind at ease. You CAN eat your steaks somewhat rare, as long as it is hot all the way through (I don't mean cooked well done, I mean hot throughout). Also, ANY cheese you buy from a grocery store is pasteurized, so Brie is completely fine to eat. If you bought it from a farm house, then no, but ALL cheese has to be pasteurized for them to sell in stores. So go ahead and enjoy the same cheese you always ate!

    I am not kidding when I say that my OBGYN is one of the #1 doctors in Vancouver, and the only thing he stressed is absolutely no deli meats. He told me that even tuna sashimi once in awhile is fine, and has GOOD protein. You don't have to give up everything for the next 9 months.

    Even coffee is fine! He said as long as I don't drink more than 6 cups a day, I'm fine. First off, I've never done that, and I drink mostly latte's which is MOSTLY milk, and espresso is less caffeinated than straight drip coffee.

    I'm eating the same as normal, just no wine, deli meats, raw seafood (ie oysters). You have to still enjoy your life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ate salmon sashimi frequently (2-3 times/wk) during my entire second pregnnacy without any problems, after completely avoiding it with DD (first pregnancy). My OBGYN assured me it was ok to eat but she did say not to consume too much tuna and that wasn't a problem for me since I don't like tuna sashimi anyways. I was so thrilled and didn't hesitate. If you think about it women in Japan continue eating their resources, and have healthy pregnancies/babies. Congratulations on your pregnancy I wish you a H&H 40 weeks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm I totally thought ANYTHING raw was off limits!! I think I might have to start sneaking in some salmon sashimi from time to time. I'm just totally over paranoid with what I eat I think because I work with children with special needs and I SEE first hand EVERY SINGLE DAY what I fear the most for my future baby. I know having special needs is usually genetically predisposed but still....I want to do any and everything my in power to keep it from happening. But ya....I think it should be ok to sneak in my most favourite food in the whole wide world once in a little while. Raw oysters and alcohol will just have to wait I suppose LOL

    ReplyDelete