Sunday, August 14, 2011

My Love/Hate Relationship as a Landlord

I know this blog is supposed to be all about my journey into Motherhood BUT I need to vent and it's not like it has NOTHING to do with when I AM a mother.  

So Ed and I have a house and we rent out a suite downstairs (the house is 2 levels) to a mother in her late 30's/early 40's. her 16 year old and her 50+ mother.  When we were choosing tenants almost a year ago we chose them because they seemed really nice and the 16 year old did NOT look like one of those teenagers who would be up to no good.  Needless to day we made a few mistakes on our part by assuming things.  In our ad we had asked for non-smokers but for some stupid reason we forgot to ASK them if the ever were non-smokers...they're not.   We also forgot to ask them about their work schedules...she works late night shifts and this means a total clash of our sleep schedules. And we forgot to ask them to pay for their own utilities so they thought it was a part of the monthly price...even though it was stated in the ad that utilities would be split according to the number of people living in the house.  

ANYWAYS...let's just say lessons learned and since this was only the first time we were landlords we'll have tons to learn from next time...their lease is up in October *HORRAY* I'm actually kind of glad I'm NOT pregnant right now because of the situation downstairs.  

Just today I woke up to loud music playing downstairs because the 16 year old is home alone cuz mom and grandma are out at work.  The bass was SO loud that I had a migraine within the hour.  I had to leave the house for a nice long QUIET walk to try to get the booming sound out of my head.  And YES we had already asked him to turn it down but he's 16 with no supervision.  We came back home from our walk and it was loud again so Ed called the mom who had returned home.  After an hour with no changes I got so fed up because my head hurt SO much I went downstairs to ask them to turn it off.  I had to POUND on the door because they couldn't hear me knocking on it due to the loud music.  The mom did not look pleased with my request but at least the did turn it off. 

This is just the most RECENT incident.  I'd say Ed and I are down there on average 3 times a week asking them to turn the volume down...and usually this happens after 11pm on WEEKDAY nights.  Some weekend nights the mom will have friends over sitting on our driveway smoking and drinking beer at 2am in the morning.  Since the weather has got a lot hotter around here we've had our bedroom window open so the smoke was totally coming inside.  We went down to ask them to move and she was apologetic but told me there's no where for her and her friends to sit since they didn't have a patio or anything....umm is that MY problem???  

So ya to put it lightly we are fed up.  I don't know what I would do if I had a child in the house...or worse...a BABY who would need quite time to sleep.  We totally will learn from our mistake this time around and we are totally NOT renewing their lease in October.  No more kids downstairs, no more smoke blowing into the house in the summer and no more having people who are up all night! 

No comments:

Post a Comment