Friday, June 17, 2011

DIY Toddler Room make over - Guest Post




DIY Toddler Bedroom Makeover......

Last summer we moved into a new house and my daughter (a year old at the time) had a blue room in dire need of a girly makeover. It was a blank canvas for me and I ended up spending way more time and money than I intended but it turned out beautiful and it is by far my favorite room in the house! It's a little girl's dream. I have learned home renovation projects always take longer than you think and always cost more than you anticipate, ha ha.
There were a lot of stages involved in transforming this room.
Stage I: Filling, sanding, painting the walls, closet, ceiling, baseboards & crown molding.
Stage II: Taping off all the vertical stripes......painting all the stripes
Stage III: Cutting and Installing the wainscotting and trim
Stage IV: Installing a new light fixture, curtains & home made valance
Stage V: Decorate and enjoy!
Painting Vertical Stripes: There are a lot of tutorial's online for this. I actually just used regular sewing thread, tied a washer to the bottom of the string and then taped the string to the crown molding and let it hang freely down the wall (the weight of the washer will hold the string level). Then I taped down the wall along the line of string with painter's tape. My stripes are 8" apart and I chose to use two shades of green that were consecutive on the color palette for a more suttle effect. Here is just one tutorial on painting vertical stripes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oIblNDh-zs&NR=1

The Valance: I picked up some foam core board at Michael's to make this DIY valance and some pink pre-cut fabric from the Wal-Mart craft section and some cotton batting. It was simple to make. You will need the items listed above, duck tape, scissors, stapler and two safety pins to hang it (as long as it's not too heavy). It cost about $$40 to make and I measured my shape free hand. The inspiration for this valance and the step-by-step to make it can be found here http://littlegreennotebook.blogspot.com/2009/09/easy-pelmet-boxes.html



If you have any questions, you can email me through my blog;























2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much Candice!!!!! I LOVE her wall art (the tree!)....so inspirational and I can't wait to see the before/after blog post for your new twin boys' room!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in love with the wall art! I did something so similar in my daughter's room!! Except yours looks professional and mine...not quite as professional. :0)

    ReplyDelete