Monday, April 4, 2011

Getting started with the FUN stuff!!!



Ed and I were out and about over the weekend and after our weekly IKEA $1 breakfast (technically $2 cuz we always order 2 plates) we were driving back home when we drove past BABY'S WORLD!  I begged him to stop so we can go take a look (this wasn't the first time we've driven past and I wanted to go in....he's been putting it off because he wants to BE pregnant before we start looking at baby stuff) and to my surprise he said yes!  So in we go and once we were inside the first thing we see are strollers and car seats.  I melted seeing all the baby stuff and ran over and started pushing a stroller.  I'm going on and on about how they're all so cute and how if we had twins (it's in my genes!) we'd get 'that one'.  The sales lady came over and asked us if we had questions and we said 'no, we're just looking'.  But she didn't go away.  Instead she started talking to us about HOW to choose the proper stroller and how we'd really use it more than our car!  She totally schooled us about strollers.  


Strollers:
Apparently most parents end up with an average of FOUR strollers.  One that's the basic, big one that comes with the little carrier for your newborn.  Another that's a lightweight easy to access/fold away one.  Another to replace the big one that you got before your baby was born because once using it you'll realize it doesn't push as easy or it just doesn't work for you. And yet another to replace the lightweight one because most people usually buy a cheap version since it's a 'to-go' stroller.  If most parents were to take the money spent on all 4 strollers and put it towards a higher end, multi-purpose and well built stoller, they would have spent LESS money on strollers.  


Car Seats:
I went on to ask her about car seats.  She replied with 'When are you due?'.  I told her I wasn't even pregnant yet but we were going to start trying next month.  She told me to not bother getting one until a month before my due date once I know.  APPARENTLY....car seats have EXPIRY DATES???!!!  I did NOT know this!!!!  I was so surprised!  Car seats have a 5-8 year life span.  AND if you get pulled over and they check your car seat(s) and it's expired, you can get a TICKET!  The reason they have expiry dates is because car seats are not built FOR the car you have.  They're built FOR cars but not for a SPECIFIC car.  And because they're just strapped in there, there is wear and tear that will take place from it shaking all the time while the car is moving at high speeds.  Also you car seats often STAYS in your car.  The extreme hot/cold weather will warp the plastic/materials and thus making the car seats safety features diminish.  


Cribs:
There are so many things to think about when buying a crib!!  Planning for a 2nd child?  Get a better one so it'll be good enough to be reused.  Want something for your baby to grow up in?  Get a transition crib which can later be converted into a day-bed and then into an actual bed!  SO COOL!  And there are also changing tables and drawers that all come in a set with the cribs!  And most people get a bassinet for their newborns' first few months so they can be in their bedrooms rather than down the hall. 


All in all that 20 minute visit has got me all giddy and excited!!!!! There is so much that Ed and I have to research on in terms of baby furniture before we even decide which ones to get!!  Haven't even thought about high chairs, play pens, bouncers and whatever we haven't thought of yet!! FUN!!!


Also within 2 days, 2 of my co-workers have announced that they're pregnant...one with TWINS!! BABYS EVERYWHERE!!!!


----------------------------
Check out some gems that I have my eyes on....
This stroller comes with a car carrier/car seat!  It has one hand steering as well!!! 
Crib...
...daybed...
...full bed!





4 comments:

  1. oh yes strollers! i think i am on my 5th one now, but ive had 2 so that acceptable right! haha, no more strollers i finally like the one we have now that works for both the girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha so it IS true!! Ed was saying how the sales lady might have just told us that so we'd buy an expensive stroller!! Good to know Lisa!!!! 5 strollers is crazy!! Hope you can sell them on craigslist when you're done with them! The sales lady also said that resale value of higher end baby items are higher too so that's a good thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we have 3 strollers... one came with our travel system, and I hate it! Don't get a travel system. The strollers are so big and bulky. The second is an umbrella stroller, which is great for running into stores, but I find for me, being 5'9, I kick it when I walk, so going for long walks doesn't work. My last one is a jogging stroller, and I wish I had bought it from the beginning.
    The best thing though is finding one that is easy to fold, and fits in your trunk! Only one of our strollers actually fits in our car!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley you're so resourceful!!! Thanks so much for the tip!!! I found this one store (Baby's World) that allows you to take the strollers out and PRACTICE putting them in your cars so you know if it'll work for you! And they have WEIGHTS for you to push the stroller around the store with!!!! SO SMART!

    ReplyDelete