Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Flutters and Shopping and Excitement OH MY!!!

Flutters
So I am DEFINITELY feeling flutters this these days!!! Totally feeling little bubbles inside of me! I CANNOT wait to feel an official KICK! I don't think it will happen until the new year though!!!  Since they're only flutters Ed can't feel them yet so it will be nice for him to finally get to be a part of all this instead of just knowing!

Shopping
No, I haven't gone out and BOUGHT anything yet.  But we've been to a number of baby stores now and we're slowly learning about all the things we will need to be getting.  It's quite overwhelming and we can only be in the store for chunks at a time because the sales people are SO great in schooling us in all the different categories that we need time to digest.  When we first found out we were expecting we went to Baby's World and got schooled in strollers and car seats.  Since then we've pretty much decided which stroller and car seat to get.  All we need to do is go to the States and check out the prices down there and then we'll know where we will want to buy them from in March.  
Since our first shopping trip we've been in and out of baby stores and department stores with baby sections looking at actual furniture.  Price ranges are HUGE and quality varies too.  We know we probably will want a crib that will convert into a bed later on (we can either use it for our kid later or as a spare bed in a guest room).  There are also many pieces of furniture that we don't think we will need.  We think we will only need to really get the crib, changing table, maybe a small dresser and a rocking chair for the nursery. Here are inspirations for what we like for a boy or girl's nursery! That's all we've got for actual furniture so far!
Last month we went to TJ'S Kiddies and got started looking at bedding.  I must say, it's a LOT easier to find bedding for a boy than a girl.  I'm not liking the options out there for girls.  Do NOT like the brown and pink combos!!!!  I want more pastel and pretty colours!  Something more light pink, white and grey.  Need to do way more research on that! Any suggestions send them my way!!
This past week we went back to Baby's World and this time got schooled in bassinets, play pens and baby carriers!!!!  I'm leaning towards getting a play pen that we can have in our room in lieu of a bassinet.  There are some that you can raise up so it's more like a mini crib and lower down later to use as an actual play pen.  Some even come with a changing table attached and storage underneath!  I think we'll get more use out of that rather than getting a bassinet AND a play pen later on.  Now we just have to research which one we want! We will probably get a Graco Pack N' Play but there are about 30 different kinds HAHA We want to get a simple black/more gender neutral one since it's not really going into the nursery.  In the world of baby carriers, I tried on the Baby Bjorn carriers and Baby K'Tan cloth carriers.  I definitely like the cloth carrier better because it fits me better since I'm so tiny.  Also it will be easier to just throw into the diaper bag when I'm out too.  The Bjorn ones are chunky!  But at the same time the cloth carriers come in sizes so Ed would NOT fit into mine...not that he'd want to use a cloth carrier.  Those don't look good on men HAHA.  We might just have to get one of each!  
We're also checking out Craigslist to see if there is anyone selling nice used furniture too.  Something like the changing table could be used...no big deal.  The only things I'd want brand new for sure would be the crib, stroller and car seat. 
I think once we know what we're having we will be able to better figure out what we need and be more specific on colours and such.  We also plan on getting out baby registries up and going by the end of January!!!  

Excitement
A LOT of exciting things to be excited about these days in our world of pre-baby! We have our gender reveal ultrasound in 2.5 weeks!  Ed is just DYING to find out what we're having so he can start painting! I on the other hand am a bit nervous because this ultrasound is also supposed to check if the baby is developing normally.  I'm trying hard to not think too much about it because really, we get what we get and as parents we need to accept our children for whatever they are.  I guess this is the next phase of my faith.  I need to more than ever just trust in God and believe that everything that happens is good for me (even if it's not something I want).  
We also booked out 3D ultrasound....on my BIRTHDAY!!  January 19th (when I turn 29) is when we will be going in!  If all goes well with our next ultrasound we plan on inviting our parents to the viewing. I'm glad we are doing this ultrasound because if for whatever reason we can't see if the baby is a boy or a girl in the next ultrasound...this one will kind of serve as a back-up one? I'm just praying that our baby will not be crossing it's legs and that we will get to see if IT is Ethan Gabriel or Emily Grace!!!
After both ultrasounds, we will then get off our butts and really start with the shopping stuff.  We will need to set up baby registries at all the stores that we plan to buy from and select items that people can get for us (we plan to get the big ticket items and our friends/family can help out with all the random knick knacks! There's still so many things to THINK about (bath stuff, toys, clothes and bedding).  We need to head down to the States too and check out the price differences.  We're pretty sure strollers, car seats and play pens will be cheaper down there so we plan on getting those things in the States rather than in Canada.

That's it for now!!!
I think the most exciting thing about our next 2 ultrasounds IS that we will no longer have to call our baby an IT!  As you all have read earlier on, we already have names chosen!  It will be so amazing to start calling our baby by name!!!!  I love both those names so much and think they will be perfect for our little IT!  

15 comments:

  1. so awesome! make sure you check with your doctor and hospital and that as to whether you can use a car seat from the states. Transport Canada actually might be the best place to check because all car seats up here are inspected by them and have a sticker. so just double check because when i had Kaylee i was told we wouldn't be able to use a car seat we bought in the stated to bring her home in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make sure your car seat and stroller fit together. For the first 5-6 months you will be pushing the baby around in the car seat, and they will be having naps in it when you are out so you are going to want something that can smoothly be snapped into your stroller so it's quicker to go it's annoying trying to shop with a grocery cart. Also you have to make sure your stroller fits in your car, I know a FEW people who bought strollers that didn't fit in their trunks... one couple actually bought a new vehicle.

    Baby carriers my kids hated it, my niece loved it, Gabe gained so much weight so fast that he was out of the weight limit, they are tricky to get the kid in and out. Good for long walks. Kid's get heavy though. Better for men to wear it.

    I never used a change table. I also used a backpack as a diaper bag because it just was easier. I love having 4 pockets on my back pack cuz I organized my pockets from; clothes, diapers, wipes, bandages disinfectant hair things, I also like that my backpack has two places for juice.

    Oh I also loved having a breastfeeding pillow! They are also so awesome when the baby starts to sit up you can stick them in a nook works good! Another thing to consider is a swing that saved my LIFE! Especially with two kids. My daughter had colic really bad and the only way she would sleep more then an hour was in the swing... i usually got 3 hours those nights! Have fun!

    Oh yeah check pottery barn and home sense for kids bedding SO CUTE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm I totally did NOT think about the different regulations!! Guess we'll be getting all our stuff here!!! Thanks everyone for the heads up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you don't have to get all of your stuff up here, for the most part, the states has similar regulations ie. for cribs, strollers, etc. The only thing I would recommend getting up here would be the car seat, because if GOD FORBID you're in an accident, and you have an american made/regulated car seat, there might be issues ie. ticketed for not using the right car seat.

    I had a babyhawk carrier and my husband and i loved it, but we're both tall, so it was great, I don't think it would be good for you. My son HATED his swing, but loved his bouncy chair that vibrated, which when he had colic, was where he would sleep.

    one place you could check for bedding is http://www.babybedding.com/custom because you can design it yourself. Or etsy... a bit more expensive, but if you're looking for something specific. One thing I would do if we had another baby is to buy pieces separately, rather than the standard bed in a bag sets, because you can get a more custom look.

    cant' wait to hear your results!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto on the car seat comments. I actually went through this dilemma inadvertently because we initially bought our sunshine radian car seat brand new from someone on craigslist (have since bought one from the store). It literally hadn't been taken out of the box yet, it was half the price so I figured why not...well, when I got home, I started to look for the transport canada sticker only to realize that it was in fact a US car seat. Though I knew we couldn't use american car seats in Canada, I started doing some research. Not only would you get ticketed if for some reason or another you got caught with an american car seat, but you're insurance would not cover car seat damage or anything related to it at all. Anyway, luckily I talked to the lady who sold it to me and she gave me my money back. She claimed she had no idea it was an american car seat as it was a gift from her mother in-law but she said she didn't need it since she had 2 already...oh well. Sounds suspect and irresponsible to me...somehow I can't imagine making this mistake on a $300 car seat!

    Just going with the other comments...

    My son hated the swing, loved the bjorn, never slept anywhere but in my bed so we never really used the bassinet (he was also very colicky). I would definitely get one of those all in one bassinet pack n plays...that would have been super useful (we have a regular pack n play which is great but if I'd have had the bassinet kind from the beginning that would have been much better). We also never had a change table, just the change pad which we put on the dresser and now just the floor since he squirms so much that I'm scared he'd fall off now or we change him on the bed.

    Breast feeding pillow was essential...my son is 15 months old and he still uses it on the couch while drinking his bottle and reading stories. I used it a ton while breast feeding, and then like the person above said, used it when he learned to sit up so that he had some support and if he wobbled over had a soft landing.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your carseat will be checked at the hospital and it must have the canadian sticker label on the side. the base for the car and the stroller etc. can be from the states.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Love reading your blog!!! Hope to have one myself one day but for now I'll post as anonymous ;) !!!
    Here are some things that really came in handy for me when I first had my baby....didn't know I needed them before but would highly recommend all the items..get them on your registry or from Target or Amazon when you go on your shopping trip to the states! Of course these are just my suggestions and what worked for me...you will learn what you and your baby like but it's always nice to have some tips!

    -Madela Pump in Style breast pump and extra set of bottles/suctions
    -sleep bra for yourself or nursing tanks and bras
    -Cloud B sleep sheep or graco sweet sleep noise maker
    -Baby Trend Snap and Go stroller (lightest and smallest and fits all car seats!)
    -WATCH "The Happiest baby on the block" while you are in your last month and also once the baby is here!!! (I've lent this dvd to many of my friends and they are so grateful!)
    -"Swaddle Me" swaddle blankets x2
    -Gum drops soother or Avent soothie (they have cute paci holders on etsy.com)
    -Bjorn or Moby wrap
    -Chan Pie Gnon (blue) (in addition to sophie le giraffe) babies love sucking on the top of this toy
    -lots of onesies that have zippers (NOT SNAPS) for wearing in the day
    -sleep sacs of night gown use (easy to change diapers in)
    -0-3 month gerber undershirts with side button (easier to get on/off on a new born that the over the head one)

    ReplyDelete
  8. -Motherlove nipple cream (it's natural and feels like butter, way better than any other cream out there!!!)
    -Motherlove also makes great natural supplements to increase milk production
    -Simple Wishes Pink hands free pumping bra (target or amazon) don't get black...milk stains ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. best shoes for walking on concrete
    Best women’s shoes for standing on concrete for long hours, keep your feet pain-free. Standing on a hard concrete floor for an extended period will inevitably wreak havoc on your feet and entire body.It is quite painful to stand for long periods of time on hard concrete floors, which is common in many occupations. Fortunately, wearing appropriate and comfortable footwear can significantly reduce strain on your feet and lower limbs and provide all-day comfort and support.

    ReplyDelete
  10. daisy-go.blogspot.com/2011/12/flutters-and-shopping-and-excitement-oh.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recently discovered your blog and have found every piece I've read to be quite beneficial. My issue is that I receive a lot of traffic but very few comments!

    ReplyDelete
  12. MaxiMove LTD are a family run removal company offering home removals and same-day collection and delivery services at a competitive price. It's our goal to listen to our customers and put their requirements first and to provide you with an efficient, reliable and personalised service ensuring your moving day runs smoothly.
    how to pack for moving house
    how to pack for moving house

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is very useful post for you. If you want to khow more, please visit our site-
    click here

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing! I always love to read this type fashion post.
    Organza Saree

    ReplyDelete