Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Name Game!


Ed and I have thought about names for our future children long before we even wanted to start a family.  Ed's dad and his 5 siblings all have names that begin with the letter 'E'.  Naturally, I asked him if he wanted to keep that tradition and name all our kids with names that start with an 'E'. At first he was totally against it because he said growing up he always thought it was lame.  But when we went to Baby's World a few weeks ago, one of the showrooms that they had had the name ETHAN in wooden block letters above the crib.  And since then Ed has been attached to that name.  So I started looking up 'E' names for girls and came across EMILY.  I've always loved this name and I think it's so classic and feminine.  Obviously we have no clue what we're having yet but as of right now, we love those names. 

Then we started thinking about middle names.  I had always wanted to name my kids' middle names after one of their grandparents' names.  But Ed suggested that since our last name starts with 'G' and if we are to name our kids with names starting with 'E' why not give them middle names that start with 'G' so that their initials read EGG!  Yes, Ed has some weird obsession with EGGS.  When we bought our first car together he actually asked the car insurance guy if the license plate '000 EGG' was available.  It was already taken.  And since our kids are technically our 'little eggies' I figured why not??  I think it's cute! We decided to look up names that started with 'G' and find ones that relate to the bible...since Ethan and Emily aren't actually IN the bible...I think anyways.  We came up with these...

Ethan Gabriel Go
Emily Grace Go

...for now.

4 comments:

  1. love both of them! nice and simple and beautiful! my poor babies have such long names, at least they will be easy to spell when they are learning to write their names <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you have "things" Joshua and I had things as well mostly our kids names had to be feminine or masculine not unisex because my name is uni-sex and I hate it. Also our kids names had to have good meanings, because my name means I steal stuff, pretty lame meaning! We also wanted our kids names to have Christian meanings, Elli-devoted to God Gabriel- man of God. I got to pick the girls name and Joshua got to pick the boys name. I won first round so be default Joshua was able to name our second child. For middle names we did sides of the family since Elli was a girl she got my side so her middle name is Lee, which is mine, my moms, cousins, and nieces middle name. Joshua wanted Gabe's middle name to be a man he could look up to.. Joshua only thought he was worthy of that title of all the men in his family so his name is Gabriel Joshua! LOL Naming a child is a neat experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm voting you have a girl named Emily Grace...I think that's a beautiful name! Ethan has been such a popular name. My cousin just had a baby boy and named him Ethan Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Each of those names are beautiful! It is so fun naming children! How funny that your hubs has an obsession with Eggs. My husband makes fun of me for the way I say it. I guess I pronounce it funny or something.

    ReplyDelete